Due to group expansion in the business, an exciting new opportunity has been made available as a Test Engineer at Prism Healthcare. You will play a crucial role in ensuring that the existing and new product portfolio comply with the relevant medical ISO standards. You will be expected to be able to follow and understand the requirements of the standards and generate suitable test procedures which you will then perform and document. As the test engineer, you will collaborate closely with cross-functional teams, including the design, technical and regulatory departments. You will be responsible for maintaining the testing facility and will work closely with the Senior Product Compliance Engineer on improving the current set up. You will be required to provide updates on product testing to the project leaders as well as regular updates with the wider technical team on the overall workload and workload management. Full training for the role will be provided and support/development will be given by the group technical team on a daily basis.
Essential duties will include, but not limited to the following:
- Product Testing and Validation: Running and managing the testing facility to test a wide range of products across the group, including lifting and handling products, gantries, track systems, bathing products, beds, chairs and paediatric products to comply with the relevant medical ISO standards. This includes determining test procedures, test preparation, physical testing and documenting the tests.
- Documentation and Reporting: Maintaining accurate and up-to-date documentation of test procedures, test reports, including the summary test reports (STRs) and Prism specific tests. Collating testing data into tables and graphs for clear presentation. Providing periodic reports on progress, challenges, and successes to the management team.
- Regulatory Compliance: Ensuring that the test standards are met and test methods comply with the relevant medical device regulations, standards, and certifications.
- Drawings: Reading and understanding technical drawings is essential, these will be used to assembly prototypes and to understand the designs testing implications.
- Mentoring: Working closely with the test engineer apprentice, you will be expected to mentor them with the testing requirements and develop them within the role.
- Risk Analysis: Identifying potential risks associated with test procedures and proposing appropriate mitigation strategies.
- Factory Support: Within the role of test engineer, you may be required to support the Rhyl factory with regards to product compliance to the standards.
- Collaboration and Communication: Effective communication across the cross-functional teams is essential, including updates on the testing plan in regular meetings, discussing issues and suggesting design improvements, also discussing test procedures and implications with the wider group including Manufacturing and Regulatory Affairs.
- Continuous Improvement: Actively participating in test review meetings, sharing ideas for process improvements, and contributing to the enhancement of the testing facility and methods within the organization.
- Problem-solving skills: Effective proactive problem-solving skills. Ability to identify issues, analyze them, and devise practical solutions to overcome obstacles in the testing process. With a ‘Right first time’ attitude.
- Practical skills: As well as testing, you will be required to build the initial prototypes of new and existing products for testing or demonstration uses. This allowing you to learn the product and complete initial function testing and determine any assembly/design issues.
- Attention to detail: Precision and attention to detail are critical. As well as a forward-thinking attitude.
- Communication skills: Good written and verbal skills required. Applicant will collaborate with multidisciplinary teams, including technical, manufacturing, and design. Test reports must be clear and concise.
- Adaptability: Being adaptable and open to revising test methods when required is vital to achieving the best possible outcome. Flexible/adaptable approach to work and working hours.
- Passion for learning: Technology and testing trends are constantly evolving with new standards and test requirements . A passion for continuous learning and expanding/improving current methods and staying up to date with the latest developments is essential to remain competitive and innovative.
- Analytical Skills: Strong analytical and problem-solving abilities to identify issues and propose effective solutions.
- Time management: Good time management skills required to stay organized, meet milestones, and deliver results efficiently.
- Team player: Ability to collaborate with cross-functional teams, including technical, design and manufacturing. Being a team player, but also be able to work independently.
Education & Experience
- Education: A minimum Engineering qualification of HND level is required. GCSE’s in English and Mathematics (Grade C or above) is also required.
- Experience: 2-3 years of experience of working in a product testing environment is necessary. Previous hands on experience is required. Experience of mentoring will be considered a benefit.
- Digital Literacy Skills: Proficient in Microsoft Office applications: PowerPoint, Word and Excel. Other applications such as Adobe and Photoshop will also be advantageous.
- Collaborative Team Player: Demonstrated ability to work effectively in cross-functional teams and communicate complex ideas and problems concisely.